You're almost done!
What is an IRD number?
You will need an IRD number for any of these cases:
- You will become an employee in New Zealand, earning incomes from any source.
- You set up and run a business in New Zealand.
- Receive a benefit or pension.
- Join KiwiSaver (a work-based savings initiative).
- You open a bank account in New Zealand.
- You register for Working for Families Tax Credits.
- You register for a student loan or son support.
- File tax returns.
- Buy, sell or transfer any New Zealand Property.
You can request an IRD number by filing our IRD application form for resident individual. This form needs to be completed if you are a New Zealand citizen or residence class visa holder. You will need a bank account in New Zealand before requesting your IRD number.